I have a similar problem along similar lines to the question below.

I have Mandrake 7.1 installed, i am wanting to have a play with Apache,
I have it starting as a service on startup, but when I try and connect
using http://localhost/ or http://localhost.localdomain/ or 127.0.0.1 it
just returns the error that the host is unreachable.

I have tried to start apache manually, but resulting in the same
problem, it matters not wether I am logged on as root or a standard
user.

Any ideas? is this some sort of security option that I may have
inadvertently switched on?

--
Jamie Adams
Housing Assistant