What I don't understand is why you would need to do this?

Linux is a multi-user system.  If each person logs in, and opens KMail,
it will only access the work that user has done.

For example, say you have two users on the machine.  zeus and hera.
You log in as zeus and configure KMail for zeus' liking.  With
different folders and different filters for varils mailing groups.

Then you logout as zeus and log in as hera, doing the same thing but
having different folders and different mailing list.  When you logout
as each user it will keep that information as it doesn't know to even
look for zeus' information which is stored someplace else.

Since zeus won't have access to /home/hera it won't know what hera's
configs are, so it can't look at it.  Some thing goes for logging in as
hera and not being able to see /home/zeus.

Things are that simple.  So the user only needs to log in and open
Kmail which will have their configs.  Instead of having to close KMail,
then log in to Kmail as a certain user.
tdh

T. Holmes
UNIXTECHS.org