On Wednesday 13 June 2001 13:30, David Beahm wrote:
> OK, I get that the configuration files (or at least links to
> them) are under /etc, and most of them are self-explanatory --
> both the content and the filename.  Here's what I don't get
> (so far):
>
> Where do I control what gets started during bootup?  For
> instance, if I want to temporarily disable the PostgreSQL
> server, where is that?  Where do I setup network connections
> to automatically mount?
>
> Where do I configure personal options vs global ones?  Do I
> copy the global file to somewhere under /home/userid and make
> changes to it there?
>
> I've seen .profile used in various *nix systems, but haven't
> come across it on my LM8 system.  Am I missing something
> (besides a clue)?
>
> rc (run level change) -- which would be... what?
>
> Any links / docs you would care to recommend are welcome.
>
> TIA,
> David
>

> Easy + Automatic = EMATIC
> E-commerce enable your web site AND sell your product on ours.
>  Accept credit cards with no merchant account.  Free email and
> hosting.  Do it all yourself at www.ematic.com.

DrakConf from a terminal or just click the mandrake Conteol
Center and select System/Services

Or use a browser like netscape

give it this URL

https://127.0.0.1:10000

And login as root and present the root password.

And you will find some very neat controls there which you do not
have to be at the machine to perform

As for profiles--there is a .bashrc and various others in your
home directory --the . in front signifies a hidden file.  ls -a
makes them visible, and you can also set your file manager to
make them visible.

And there is another sort of profile called DrakProfile which is
on your menu under Configuration=>Networking.  It stores a
connection profile for various locations (as in office has
ethernet and home has ISDN for your laptop).

Civileme