On Wednesday 13 June 2001 15:32, Curtis Matthiesen wrote:
> I am using a Lexmark 3200 with Mandrake 8.0 and when I was
> installing Mandrake, I tried all three drivers for the 3200 to
> no avail.
>
> As when I would, print a test page my printer would become
> jammed and my lights would flash to indicate this.
>
> I also tried the generic print driver without having any of
> the 3200 drivers installed and I got the same problem.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as why this would be as my printer
> NEVER does this in Windows 98.
>
> Your help is appreciated.
>
> Regards
>

> Curtis M.

Of course it works in Windows.  Several hundred K of software
uses your processor to make that beast work like a printer, and
it is written for windows, by lexmark.  The lexmark 3200 is a
Winprinter.  The other drivers, the three in Linux, are not done
by the manufacturer--they are just a reverse engineering
guesswork which may work fine on some and not on others
(engineering modifications to hardware are common within the
same model number).

Civileme