I've never had any luck with the hostname command; it works fine until I
reboot, then my changes are lost.

The best way to do it is to edit (as root) the /etc/hosts file.

DO NOT change or delete the line that says "localhost.localdomain localhost"
- some aspects of the system really want that to be there. Rather, copy that
line, but in the new line change both instances of localhost to the new
hostname and change localdomain to your desired domain name.

The DNS address for both lines should be 127.0.0.1 .

I personally don't use Linuxconf because it always insists on changing a lot
of things that I don't want changed - for example, I lose my user-level pppd
privileges if I let Linuxconf do things its way. I'll use it as a reference
tool but not to modify settings. And, just in case I've been awake hacking
away too long and do save the fubar'd changes, I have scripts set up to fix
the usual offenders (such as chmods and chowns)

Jay DeKing

--
"I thought I had an appetite for destruction,
but all I really wanted was a club sandwich"