uh ohhh...I seem to have trashed my system again.

It all started with a simple reboot. I launch the Gnome menu, Choose
logout and nothing happened for a full minute or 2. So I choose the menu
again and it just wouldn't comply with my desire to log out. No response
whatsoever.

I then tried to fool the system by loggin out via the 2 button mouse
click on the desktop and choosing the shutdown or reboot option from the
system menu. Apparently, the system doesn't believe I should have that
right and denied me.

So then I thought I would be real slick and try a shutdown from xterm. I
must not have used the correct syntax, so I tried to restart the panel
by typing..you guessed it,"panel" This got my panel back up and running,
but when I choose logout, nothing happened.

kaboom! Error messages start appearing...

GDK-WARNING **: GDK window (memory address) unexpectedly destroyed.

GTK_ signal_disconnect by data(): could not find handler containing data

then, after a really forced power off, my current login has an error
message about the task list applet. Netscape reports something about a
lock file and that another user may be trying to...forgot the rest of
the message.

These souns like some serious error to this new kid on the linux block.
Am i going to have to rebuild? again?