On Tuesday 12 June 2001 16:50, Scott Pletcher wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've got some troublesome readings from two identical hard
> drives set up the same.  Does anyone know why they are
> performing so differently?  I suppose hda may be bad, but I
> was hoping to find some other way to test this.  Thanks!
>
> Scott
>
> ----THE DATA
>
> Here are the hard drives:
> hda: Maxtor 52049H4, ATA DISK drive (master ide0)
> hdb: Maxtor 52049H4, ATA DISK drive (slave ide0)
>
> Running hdparm I get:
> [root@haldane scott]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.87 seconds =147.13
> MB/sec Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in 31.17 seconds =
> 2.05 MB/sec
>
> [root@haldane scott]# hdparm -Tt /dev/hdb
>
> /dev/hdb:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.85 seconds =150.59
> MB/sec Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.21 seconds =
> 28.96 MB/sec [root@haldane scott]# hdparm /dev/hda
>

> Here are the settings:
> /dev/hda:
>  multcount    = 16 (on)
>  I/O support  =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
>  unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>  nowerr       =  0 (off)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    =  8 (on)
>  geometry     = 2482/255/63, sectors = 39882528, start = 0
> [root@haldane scott]# hdparm /dev/hdb
>
> /dev/hdb:
>  multcount    = 16 (on)
>  I/O support  =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
>  unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>  nowerr       =  0 (off)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    =  8 (on)
>  geometry     = 2491/255/63, sectors = 40020624, start = 0

if you are running 8.0, you might try this

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~civileme/drakopt

download the file drivedb2 and place it at /.drivedb
download the file drakopt2 and put it anywhere

Open a terminal

log in to the directory where you downloaded drakopt2

type

./drakopt2

When it completes, your drives should be tuned.

Drive hda seems to have a higher count of bad sectors from the
factory, but draw no conclusions til you try drakopt.

hdparm to have meaning should be run three times in a row
without other programs perking along.  The capital T on the test
need not be used since it simply measures the bandwidth of your
memory buffer.

Civileme