> So should the fully qualified host name be:
>
> myhost.isp.com
> myhost.hostingco.com

Hi Ed,
I don't think it matters anything. The 192.168.x.x IP group is for private LAN
only, as is 10.0.x.x and  127.0.x.x
You can name the machine anything. I have 2 PC's, one is paul.merlin and
the other is tbird.merlin.

Merlin just because I like it. Paul was the first machine I got, and tbird
is from the AMD Thunderbird processor inside.

So you can call it "edward", "eddy" as the shipboard computer on the Heart
of Gold (Hitch hiker's Guide to the Galaxy), edward.linux, anything you
like.

The only thing I can do with Samba is dance it. I don't have that package
actively installed on the machines...
hope this helps
Paul