On Friday 22 June 2001 01:14, OOzy Pal wrote:
> Hello
>
> My linux is on runlevel 3. Everytime I rum my linux
> box and before I get the the login prompt a message
> comes up saying
>
> Winbond Super-10 detection, now testing ports 3F0,
> 370, 200, 4E, 2E....
> SMSC Super-10 detection, now testing ports 3F0,
> 370......
>
> What is this. Any ideas.
>
> =====
> Regards,
> OOzy
>
> What is the purpose of life?

> http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

does it look something like this?

Winbond Super-IO detection, now testing ports
3F0,370,250,4E,2E ...
Winbond chip at EFER=0x3f0 key=0x87 devid=52 devrev=f4
oldid=ff
Winbond chip type 83977EF / SMSC 97w35x
Winbond LPT Config: cr_30=01 60,61=0378 70=07 74=03, f0=00
Winbond LPT Config: active=yes, io=0x0378 irq=7, dma=3
Winbond LPT Config: irqtype=pulsed low, high-Z, ECP fifo
threshold=0
Winbond LPT Config: Port mode=Standard (SPP) and
Bidirectional(PS/2)
SMSC Super-IO detection, now testing Ports 2F0, 370 ...

i think it's the kernel trying to recognize the southbridge
portion of your motherboard's chipset. the southbridge
gives all the functionality to ports like the PS/2 and
printer ports. i get the same weird message when i log in.
haven't found a way to work around it yet.

hmmm.

--

+-----
+  Jeffrey M. Reed