On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 20:05:07 +0300
"MinOtAVrs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi i m totally newbie with Linux (1 week) when i try to connect with
my Netmode modem i get this error message
> kpppd fails Exit Status 16  type man pppd for help ....
> Finally this message means Modem terminate the connection.
> What i can do to connect Please Help...

In the setup section of kppp you should increase the timeout values, I
use 130 seconds for modem timeout, and set the guardtime value in modem
commands to 255.

Also add the following to your /etc/ppp/options file:

idle <some value in seconds>    I use 300
ipcp-accept-remote
ipcp-accept-local

In most cases these changes will prevent many of those failures, _BUT_
be aware that many of the failures when using dail-up are due to
variations in line quality.

Cheers

John

--
"The number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected"
       (The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June 1972.)