edmz,

You can put your jdk directory and files any where you want.

Let's say you install the jdk in:
/home/edmz/Java/j2dk1.3.1/

When you open a shell, you can manually set the path to include your java
dir:

export PATH=$PATH:/home/edmz/Java/j2dk1.3.1/bin

Ideally, you'll probably want your path and classpath to be set every time
you open a shell.

If you use bash(which is usually the default shell on most distributions),
you can vi into a file called .bashrc (in the user base directory) and add
entries to the file:

PATH=$PATH:/home/edmz/Java/j2dk1.3.1/bin
CLASSPATH=/home/edmz/Java/source

Good luck!

eric.