On Wednesday 27 June 2001 16:37, you wrote:
> Dear friends:
>
> "If Microsoft were to cook up a plan to cause Linux to disappear in a
> virtual Tower of Babel it could scarcely be more effective than that which
> has been adopted by distributions on their own, voluntarily."
>
> This is from an article by Dennis E. Powell in Linuxtoday (June 27, 2001)
> (www.linuxtoday.com)

There actually is a link to a 4-page LinuxPlanet story from which this is an
excerpt. Do read the whole story there, everyone. The linuxtoday excerpt
doesn't tell the whole story at all.

>entitled "Separated by a Common Operating System".

As was pointed out by somebody in the linuxtoday discussion about this, he
recommends Suse for desktop/newbie use, and then finds fault when he can't do
the kind of *heavy* customisation on it for which you'd normally install
Debian or Slackware. Not really very logical. I mean, compiling your own
glibc and bleeding-edge KDE? This isn't trivial stuff he is talking about.
It's what Suse (and MDK, in our case) pay engineers for. You know, people who
do this stuff for a living.

The Suse people must have gone to a lot of trouble to hide all those linux
bootup hieroglyphics. Powell promptly gets them back. Elsewhere, he complains
that Suse keeps on resetting to runlevel 5. For a *desktop*-oriented distro,
I'd say bravo!

It seems a dilemma many linux oldtimers have nowadays. They do want all the X
eye candy, but only so they can run vi in fancier-looking surrounds! <vbg>

--
Michel Clasquin, D Litt et Phil (Unisa)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/unisa.ac.za   http://www.geocities.com/clasqm

"Hi, is that the U S Patent Office? I'd like to patent the FOR-NEXT loop,
please ..."