On Tuesday 26 June 2001 22:33, Miark wrote:
> Civileme will probably know the answer to this:
>
> With the 686B problems supposedly resolved with the BIOS updates (i
> say "supposedly" because some here have expressed doubt) will there
> be any option in future kernels to make DMA available for those of
> us who _have_ done the BIOS update?
>
> Miark

Well, we'd have to, in kernel code, look for the signature of the
BIOS Update(s) and enable DMA.  This would be a significant problem
in that updates BEYOND that may cause the signature to fail.

We are looking for a separate kernel-based solution which would
obviate the need for a BIOS upgrade.  If that happens, it will be
made available in updates immediately after it is tested.

Civileme