On Sunday 24 June 2001 18:21, Jeffrey M. Reed wrote:
> On Sunday 24 June 2001 13:00, DStevenson wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Does anyone know how to install new modules. I have
> > downloaded the SG scsi modules and need to install them
> > on my machine to hopefully solve a scanner problem. I
> > have the files installed the drivers and include
> > directories in the src tree, but that is as far as I
> > know.
> >
> > Do I need to recompile the kernel? (No please)
> >

> > Any help would be really appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks...Dave
>
> that's why they're called modules my friend. you suimplly
> need to load them at boot time. this can be done by adding
> a simple one-liner to your /etc/modules.conf script or, if
> you're already up and running, you can try loading it
> manually by logging in as root and typing 'lsmod' to see
> what modules are already loaded and then use 'insmod' to
> try your new module. it's not necessary to compile into
> your kernel. i know that can be a real pain in the butt.
>
> good luck and don't forget about www.linuxdoc.org for lots
> of linux help!!!
The only reason I ask is that having looked at the kernel config file, I
noticed a lot of info about the ai?xxxx scsi driver for the adaptec cards.
This made me think that the current scsi drivers are in the kernel, and if
so, will my new sg ones conflict?

Being new to linux, this sort of thing just make me even more confused.  If
the current ones are installed as modules, do I have to unload them before

Cheers...Dave.