I take it you downloaded the tar.gz from Adobe's web page?

>From there type :

[root@r2d2 installed] tar -zxvf linux-ar-405.tar.gz
ILINXR.install/ILINXR.TAR
ILINXR.install/INSTALL
ILINXR.install/INSTGUID.TXT
ILINXR.install/LICREAD.TXT
ILINXR.install/READ.TAR
ILINXR.install/ReadMe
[root@r2d2 installed] cd ILINXR.install/

Enter installation directory for Acrobat 4.0 [/usr/local/Acrobat4]
Do you want to create it now? [y]

Installing platform independent files ... Done

Installing platform dependent files ... Done

[root@r2d2 bin] pwd
/usr/local/Acrobat4/bin
[root@r2d2 bin] ls -la acroread
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         8710 Jul  4 02:26 acroread*

>From there, you can just type ./acroread and the app will run.  If you
can't get to that point, then fix what it's complaining about or needs
and then try and run the ./INSTALL.
tdh

--
T. Holmes

Uptime:
 2:24AM  up 1 day,  5:45, 2 users, load averages: 0.05, 0.02, 0.00