I have a USB printer. No TV card, no network card. The only ISA card I have
is my modem (only one ISA slot, the rest are PCI and AGP). The USB is
integrated into the mobo.

When the problem first manifested itself, I had the printer attached to the
parallel port and nothing was using the USB ports.

I just reinstalled 8.0, taking care NOT to install the 4.0.3 Xfree driver.
The last time, I installed 4.0.3, and tried to go back to 3.3.6 when
StarOffice froze, but I think that having 4.0.3 lingering around may have
continued to cause problems.

Haven't tried StarOffice yet. If it doesn't work, I'll bump Xfree up to 4.0.3
and apply the patch and try again.

Jay

--
"Support your local law enforcement agency -
 this week commit the crime of your choice!"