Both the mouse and keyboard are USB, but it is a desktop not a laptop.  So
are you saying that I won't be able to use Mandrake 7.2?  I now need to get
a copy of 8.0?

On Tue, 10 Jul 2001 06:38:28 +0000, civileme wrote:

  On Tuesday 10 July 2001 00:35, Greg Partin wrote:
  > I'm running Windows 2000 Server on my machine now so I believe that I
  > cannot use linx4win. Is this true? The only 2 options are to use NTFS
and
  > FAT when installing Windows 2000 Server.  I'm having a really difficult
  > time with the installation on top of this.  Whenever I try the graphical
  > installation the mouse does not work and whenever I try the text
  > installation the keyboard does not work.  I looked at the BIOS to see if
  > there was anywhere to turn of Plug 'n Play but I don't seem to have an
  > option (is it called something else that I may not know?).  Any help
would
  > be greatly appreciated!
  >
  > Thank you,
  >
  > Greg

  OK  now the question makes more sense.  Linux uses its own filesystem,
called
  ext2, and effectively hides from Windows.  All it needs is some room on
the
  disk.

  7.2 and 8.0 will make their own partitions by shrinking a FAT32 partition
if
  it can be shrunken, and install invisibly to windows, so you need the
FAT32
  OR you need to install on just part of the disk and leave the rest
  unpartitioned, then linux will create its own partitions on the rest of
the
  disk.  That is, you need to do that if  you wish to use linux.  Another
  alternative is to add a disk, and leave it unformatted.

  Do you have USB mouse and keyboard?  or PS/2 keyboard and USB mouse?
  Is this a laptop?  If your answer is yes for any of these, then 8.0 is
more
  likely to work, but even then you may need to make a floppy from one of
the
  alternate install images on the 8.0 CD.  Many hardware standards are
  changing, and we try to keep images around to deal with the combinations
of
  old and new that pop up.  Naturally, in windows, with the drivers written
by
  the hardware manufacturers, this is not a problem, but in linux, with the
  drivers generally written by reverse engineering, it is.  That situation
is
  getting better as more manufacturers either part with information or write

  linux drivers and make them open-source.

  And yes lnx4win will not work on win2k.

  Civileme