It looks like I was too optimistic. I am still having problems with both LAN
and modem based Internet connections. The modem has the priority at the
moment. It is a US Robotics Sportster 56 Kbps modem. The modem worked fine
under a Red Hat Linux 7.0 quick diagnostic install to see if it worked
properly. With Mandrake back in place, it seems to respond both under
/dev/modem and /dev/ttyS0 the later being where the modem resided under Red
Hat. I am dialing into a pulse (not tone) telephone system, but under Red
Hat, the modem worked fine regardless of whether the "use tone" button was
active or not. I have tried changing the dial init from ATDT to ATDP, but am
unsure as to whether this is the correct command. Isn't there an easier way
of doing this?

Cheers,

Brian