On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:59, etharp wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > I don't really know how to solve your main problem (since I've never
> > tried it myself), so I'll just say this. There are plenty of console text
> > editors out there. GNU Nano is a GNU clone of Pico (which is not GPL). I
> > personally am a big fan of Jed.
>
> WOW i thought i was the only one that liked JED. I thought it ws 'cause it
> reminded me of DOS edit or something... I thought jed might not handle
> editting scrpit text the exactally the same way as VI and might leave some
> invisable markers some whaere or something that i had not yet figured out
> is why it was just ME using JED
>
> <Snip>

Yeah, it seems odd that more people don't use jed. All I need is a simple
text editor. Vi is too annoying to learn (although once you're used to it can
be very powerful), and emacs is just too bulky for a text editor. A simple
console text editor was one of the first things I craved for when I started
using GNU/Linux. After experimenting with different editors, I finally
settled on jed for its similarity ot MS-DOS Edit (just like you!). All jed
really needs to be a truly great editor for simple tasks is gpm (mouse)
support and support for the home, end and delete keys.

Jed, links (a text web browser with gpm mouse support) and mc (a text file
manager with gpm mouse support) have got to be the best console tools out
there for my uses. I think Mandrake should use jed instead of vi as its
default console editor, since vi is simply baffling to newcomers (e.g. those
used to MS-DOS edit or emacs). It would also be a convenient way to skirt
around the old Vi-Emacs rivalry, while still making them available for those
who really want them.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson