I have tried (without success) to get it running. I am unable to complete the
first part of setup-the voice level sampling part.
I suspect my soundcard is not up to it (Opti mad 16 - a cheap ISA card), it
does appear to be configured by sndconfig, it plays voice and midi samples
and will play music CDs but it does not appear to accept microphone input.
Also at boot time I get the following messages

localhost modprobe: /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/mad16.o.gz:
 localhost modprobe: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters
localhost modprobe: init_module: No such device
localhost modprobe: /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/mad16.o.gz:
insmod /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/mad16.o.gz failed
localhost modprobe: /lib/modules/2.4.3-20mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/mad16.o.gz:
insmod mad16 failed localhost sound: Loading sound module (mad16) failed

Any suggestions either about configuring the card or replacing it with one
known to work properly ?

Or maybe the US version doesn't like my English accent

-----
Poogle
Registered Linux user 182657 (added to sig for the benefit of those irritated
by it)