It's far more likely then that what is hanging is something immediately
AFTER the INETD starts.

Before I begin though, was the system working properly before?

Is this a new installation?

If so remember that Linux wants to find a DNS server when it first comes
up. In a new install there normally is one, so it will sit and sit, and
sit waiting for a response before it gives up and finally boots.

This may be what is happening and you have merely failed to wait long
enough (up to 10 minutes or more!).

---

Anyway...

You might want to perform an "Interactive" startup (press the "I" key,
in caps IMMEDIATELY when you see the prompt about interactive startup).

You will then get an opportunity to step thru each of the startup
services/daemons.

Do this until the system hangs up. Make a note of exactly where this
happened.

Then restart it yet again and do the same thing. As you get to the
errant service start saying "No" to each of the services until you get
beyond the point it hung up before, then let it complete the startup.

Now go into /etc/rc3.d and look for SxxSERVICE

These are the services that are started at boot. The numeric value "xx"
is the order of startup. ("SERVICE" is the name of the service)

Look for INETD and ones after it in numeric order.

Then try:

"service SxxSERVICE start"

If you get back an "OK" or "failed", then this service is not the cause
of the hang, so move on.

Once you find the one that is causing the hangup, reboot again as before
and delete the /etc/rc3.d/SxxSERVICE file to eliminate the hang.

-JMS