Well, don't know if it's an omission from your narrative or in your work, but
did you edit and run lilo?  Did you square away your system map and all that
stuff?  (LIttle short cut here:  make install  it does all that stuff for ya).
Here's my routine:
0.  rm -f /usr/src/linux, rpm -Uvv <whatever> , cd to /usr/src/linux
1.  mrproper (only if previously installed or worked on)
2.  make xconfig
3.  make dep
4.  make clean
5.  make bzImage
6.  make modules
7.  make modules_install
8.  make install  (then double check /boot and /etc/lilo.config)
9.  lilo
10. reboot

I kinda put this together after reading about a baker's dozen howtos.  I
rarely have any trouble.  (2.4.6-4mdk not withstanding.... <embarrassed grin>)

-s