On Friday 20 July 2001 22:38, you wrote:
> On Friday 20 July 2001 00:54, Rob wrote:
> > Whilst downloading from the internet my general machine performance seems
> > to fall away terribly.
> > the machine is no slouch 900 athlon 512m memory only on a 56k modem too.
> > is this sluggishness normal?
> > What could be wrong ?
>
> Do you have a winmodem/linmodem?  That can steal up to 40% of your CPU
> cycles for retraining (dropped messages).  Other than that, it could be bad
> irq tuning.  The modem should be at the top of the priority list or frames
> wlll be dropped and retransmissions requested frequently.
>
> Civileme
>
> > Thanks Rob
Modem is standard 56k external (rockwell chipset) on "com2" = tty2 ? so IRQ
is 3 which near top of irq chain
as for IRQ my system is resonably complex being abit kt7 with hpt370, (The
hpt is detected as HPT 366 ??? ) as ide3&4 GeForce256, sblive 5.1 3HDD 1
booting from hda , 2 on ide3&4  as hde & f , 1 DVD as dev/cdrom on ide1, 1
burner as /dev cdrom2. on ide2 The setup works fine under windows implying I
have no IRQ conflicts. ????
swap partition is adequate at 250M + 512M ram
Just seems very slow to respond when actively downloading. like 15 seconds
to open a konqueror file manager window.
Surely this can't be correct ?