I concur with this conclusion.  Most likely your /var/log/messages file (or
one of the log files) is full.  Boot up into console and delete whatever is
in the message files and see if that doesn't allow you to get to X.  If it
does, the next step to fixing it is edit   /etc/logrotate.conf   and change
any references to "monthly" to "weekly" (no quotes) and anything that is
"weekly" to "daily".  And change the "4" to a "1" -- there isn't any reason
to keep all those logs if you don't run a server.  That may have prevented
the boot to X in the first place (hopefully).

That should stop the silliness permanently.

eryl