Kevin:

Netscape provides several options for this; don't know about other mail
programs. Go Edit > Preferences > Return Receipt. I'm not sure how
effective it is, though. Several weeks ago I sent an important document
and requested a receipt. The doc went through, but I never got a
receipt. It turned out that the server at the other end stripped all
receipt requests from external mail.

However, please make sure that you don't ask for receipts when posting
to this list. It's a real pain, causes a lot of unnecessary traffic, and
may result in some nasty messages back to you.
Regards,
Carroll