I feel so good to be able to help a fellow newbie...two weeks ago and I
didn't know how to compile these drivers myself....

>/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules should never use
> kernel-headers system headers,
> /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but headers from an
> appropriate kernel-source
> make: *** [nv.o] Error 1

this means that your driver (the offending kernel Driver) weren't compiled.
Two possibilities: 1,you haven't the kernel source installed, 2, the kernel
source path is mysconfigured.

I'd bet you haven't got the kernel source. Install them with Software
manager- they are on the second mandrake CD. If you got just the first
cd -like me ;^) - then you can download the rpm from a Mandrake mirror. Make
sure all dependencies are met. If you HAVE the kernel source installed, make
sure the tar.gz from Nvidia are for the right version of your kernel.

A tip: set runlevel to 3 when testing Nvidia drivers-that should be after
editing "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4". then if all goes well you can set it back
to 5.

Goog Luck. :^)

 --Jeferson L. Zacco aka Wooky
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Linux registered user #221896
 Computers are used to solve problems that wouldn't exist if computers
weren't invented in the first place.