At 08.57 31/07/01, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:07, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I would like to get a few things straight.  RPM and Debian packages...how
> > do they differ from .tar.gz files?  Obviously, they are easier to install
> > and update.  Are they more highly compressed also?  One of the big benefits
> > of these also, is that the programmers decide for you where the program is
> > to reside.  How's that sound?
>
>Tarball (.tar.gz) files usually contain source code which you can then
>extract and compile. Packages, like RPMs and DEBs, come in two flavours. The
>first contains source code, and are basically tarballs with an added file
>saying _how_ the code should be compiled. The second contains binary
>(pre-compiled) code, with an added file saying where the files go. The added
>file also adds its data to the package manager database, so that the package
>may be able to be removed cleanly later. The file also lists package
>dependencies, and tries to check that the dependencies have been met before
>installing the pacakge.

Could you explain hot to use RPMs with source? I mean, simply tell me the
steps to have it installed.
Please also correct me if necessary: when I have to install a tarball file
I have to 1) decompress it 2) make configure (if necessary) 3) make 4) make
install.
Right?

Once installed a tarball app following these steps, how to uninstall it? (I
installed cdda2wav and I want to remove it - I already had it).

Thank you

Olaf

Configuration: Celeron 333A, 128 MB, 6+3 GB HD, SoundBlaster 128 PCI,
Realtek Ethernet, i740 video card running at 1024@16bpp, Toshiba CD and LG
8080B CD-RW
hda1: win 98, hda5 Linux ReiserFS, hda6 swap, hda7 ReiserFS (/home); hdb1:
FAT32 with datas