On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 12:34, SoloCDM wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan stated the following:
> > I've noticed this as well. I have configured cron to periodically use
> > ntpdate to update my system time from an NTP server. This sets my clock
> > to UTC, which is supposed to be translated by the time zone settings so
> > that the display is correct. However, I have found that this is not the
> > case. I have managed to get the time translated correctly in BASH and in
> > X (using environment variables), but cron is still on UTC. I have tried
> > placing my time zone environment variable in /etc/profile, but this does
> > nothing.
>
> Then you'll find the following very useful!
>
> I later discovered that some program didn't create /etc/localtime;
> instead, it copied the entire /usr/share/zoneinfo directory and
> sub-directories to /etc and renamed zoneinfo to localtime.
>
> After removing /etc/localtime (zoneinfo) and copying (not linking) the
> correct zone to /etc/localtime -- everything worked correctly.

THANK YOU!!! That fixed everything! I'm just wondering why we had the problem
in the first place. Could it be a bug in the Mandrake install?

> Where did you find the NTP servers?

I personally use my university's (The University of Sydney) NTP servers.
There's a whole list of other servers available at
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan.
                -- Jeremy S. Anderson