I've run 'sndconfig' on a Compaq Deskpro (no other model info was
found) and the default choice offered was Soundblaster Pro.  I chose
it, now the sound works.

Where else besides the 'dmesg' report could I look to see exactly how
the system (Mandrake 8.0) detected and configured the sound hardware?

For Video information, the SuperProbe command is available which tells
quite a bit about the video hardware detected, I'm wondering about an
equivalent program or method for sound hardware.

=====Keith