On Friday 03 August 2001 09:30 pm, Scott wrote:
> I keep resetting my system clock to the correct time and date and it
> will be ok for a few days and then it messes up again.  Like now it
> reads "22:28 Fri 3 August 2001".  ( It's Sat Aug 4).  Why is that?

   First you've got 2 clocks, system and hardware.

   If it's losing time at random like that, it's probly a hardware
problem. How old is the motherboard?  It's often as simple as needing a
new battery for your mobo (looks like a big 'watch type' battery), but
even new batteries are sometimes weak, or might just need re-seating
(ie, poor contact).

  Try updating your software and hardware clock at the same time while
connected with (as root)

   rdate -sp time.nist.gov && hwclock --systohc

  and keep an eye on it for a while to see if the problem persists.
It's fairly normal to lose a few minutes every once an'while, so the
above command (I use it as an alias I named 'tdate' **), is a good idea
for any connected system. You can use other time servers depending on
your location.
**
in bashrc:  alias tdate="rdate -sp time.nist.gov && hwclock --systohc"

  You might havt'a install 'rdate', it's on your CD's or you can get it
from any Mandrake mirror.  Keep in mind that this may be only one
possible cause for your time losses.  Overclocking can also produce a
similar symptom.  If you dual boot, the 'other' OS can also cause the
same situation.  There's more, but these are the most common (after
user errors anyhow ;)
--
Tom Brinkman                       Galveston Bay