Try checking the permissions.  Are the permissions so that you could
execute it?  They would look something like this.

[timh@yoda timh]$ ls -la `which mutt`
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  426528 May 27 16:42 /usr/local/bin/mutt

As you can see, the x means it's executable.  Try also sh <command>.
That may help.  But I'd check the permissions to start out with.  Hope
that helps.

--
T. Holmes

Uptime:
   11:36pm  up 7 days, 10:31,  5 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00