Michael:
That's what I thought until last night. While I was eating dinner, a
major substation in another part of town got totalled. I understand that
about 20,000 people in the service area were without power for most of
the night. The effects here were much less severe -- first a voltage
drop and then an interrupt, lasting about one second each. The Penguin
didn't take it very well, though, and it took a while to get things back
in order. The current thinking here is that maybe a good UPS might be a
very good investment -- even for a standalone workstation on dialup.

Sidebar: Back in my Windows daze, I always shut the system down if I
didn't need it over the next few hours. But with Linux' stability, I
leave it running unless there's some bad weather in the area. Hmmmm...
have I finally found something that Windows works better? Nahhh.

LinusGeek:
If I read your post correctly, it sounds as if you were hit by some sort
of high energy electrical transient. Wouldn't a good surge supressor
have been sufficient to prevent the damage?

Regards,
Carroll