-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Mark Shaw
Sent: Monday, 13 August 2001 6:06 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [newbie] Reinstalling without pain?

Recently I had a system crash that wiped out my LM7.2 desktop
completely (the one with the cartoon penguins) and left me
with only standard KDE -- which is okay, I guess, but I really
want the other one back.

After trying and failing to get help both here and via the
"MandrakeExpert" feature of the LM website, I've decided to
just bite the bullet and reinstall the OS.  I have /home as a
separate partition, so I don't think any of my users' (me and
my SO actually) stuff will get blown away, but:

Is there anything like a canonical list of files one should
save before reinstalling?  I'm thinking of stuff like /etc/
passwd, rc.local, etc.   I can come up with a few of these
myself without too much thought, but I bet one or two of you
out there have already faced this problem and might have
something to say about it....

Anything else I should keep in mind?

Thanks!
Mark Shaw