> Thanks to both of you, I will try those tips.
>
> What is supermount?  What is it trying to do?
> What will disabling it do to my system?  What functionality
> will I lose, and how can I replace it, or work around it's
> loss?

Supermount is a nice feature of Linux (not sure if it is mandrake specific)
that lets you mount and unmount floppies, zips, cdroms and other removable
media on the fly.
The old fashioned way is to use mount and umount as root (or as privileged
user).
With supermount, when you access e.g. /mnt/cdrom, the system checks if the
mount command has been done. If not, it is automatically mounted and made
available.
Paul

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com