On Tuesday 14 August 2001 10:22, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 23:48, Jason Guidry wrote:
> > I'm always discovering holes in my linux education, and the thread on
> > fsck made me think of defragmenting hard drives.  is there a linux eq?
> > what are the issues with data optimization/disk defragging under linux?
>
> None.
>
> Only poorly-designed filesystems become fragmented to the point of
> requiring an external defragmenter. The level of fragmentation in GNU/Linux
> filesystems is near nil (I don't think ReiserFS has any fragmentation at
> all).
>
> While I'm here, how susceptible to fragmentation is NTFS5 (the NTFS in
> Win2000)? Does it need to be defragged often?

I've been using Win2000 for about eight months and it's no different
defrag-wise.  I bet if you looked at it close enough, NTFS is just FAT32 with
some security measures thrown in-- Remember Microsoft *innovates*, it doesn't
invent.

Richie

Also, can it journal like

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com