> I understand that the 2.4.3-20mdk does only support ATA-33 - going by the
> few comments made on this list.  Ho hum, overall I'm not that worried
> about my hd transfer speed (its not too noticeable) but of course it would
> be nice to have things running as they're supposed to.

I wrote at the begining of this thread
############
"I think that hdparm switched modes on disk correctly,
but the kernels (up to 2.4.x) at this time still using UDA33
internally."
########,
but i am not sure about it.
i only now it seems there is no difference between UDA33-66-100.
By the way maximum speed in one system is determine by the tightest
place into
it.
so where is this place?

please try other tests
1. bonnie -s 500    (test file must be big 500mb and  more, default is
100mb
and not precise because depends of disk cache in linux)
2. iozone

under UDA33-66-100
UDA33 --- hdparm -X66 /dev/hda
UDA66 --- hdparm -X68 /dev/hda
UDA100 ---hdparm -X69 /dev/hda

Regards, Naka

PS: use ide0=ata66 in kernel boot parameters to force using 80 conductor
cable.
I begin a new thread - UDA33-66-100