I am planning on setting up my own mail server for my home as well.  I
did use mail deamon when I was in the windows world to grab all my mail
out of a single pop mailbox for the domain.  I would imagine some linux
mail servers would have this feature as well.  I have been so busy I
haven't had the chance to look yet.  Let me know if you find anything.
 You can then access the mail server via imap anywhere in the house.  To
access it from the internet use a dynamic dns service.  This service
allows your computer to update a dns server on the internet with it's
current static ip address.

Kevin