Installed the new KDE 2.2 final last night. It took me seven hours to
get the rpm's from sourceforge, but once I had them things went quickly.

No major problems, I just had to hunt down a few oddball dependencies
from the mandrake 8 cds and one from the cooker. Kdegraphics now
insists on an installation of sane, libsane and sane-backend even if
you have no scanner attached - weird! KDE 2.1.x worked fine without
them. Other things that it needed were apm and libpcre.

It's probably too early to give a final opinion, but everything in the
new KDE seems a little ... slow. I know that's subjective, no
benchmarks, but I seem to be waiting a couple of seconds for apps like
kamail, which used to flash onto the screen instantly. Hopefully there
will be optimisations in subsequent revisions.

Apart from that, at first things seemed odd, but after restarting X,
everything worked fine. If you like KDE and/or KDE apps, it's more of
the same. If you detest KDE and everything it stands for, well, it's
more of the same ... I installed it mainly for the apps, I use xfce as
my wm.

Tip: If you're on a modem and you're not interested in compiling KDE
apps, don't worry about d/ling the devel packages. I installed fine
without any of them. And you can always go get them later when the /.
effect on sourceforge has subsided.

On a different note, a few days ago all koffice components mysteriously
stopped working. Here's the error msg:

michel 11:54:49 ~ Command? >kword
Xlib:  extension "RENDER" missing on display ":0.0".
koffice (lib kofficecore): ERROR: Couldn't find the native MimeType in
kword's desktop file. Check your installation !

"Check my installation for what, you dumb machine?" Everything I can
think of to check is there. I even uninstalled and reinstalled koffice.

koshell comes up, but without any components (Kword, Killustrator etc)
in it.

Will this automagically be fixed when the latest koffice is released in
a few weeks time, or should I do something else? Slaughter a goat in
sacrifice to the great god Mimetype, maybe?

TIA
Michel
--
Michel Clasquin, D Litt et Phil (Unisa)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]/unisa.ac.za   http://www.geocities.com/clasqm

double-blind experiment, n:
An experiment in which the chief researcher believes he is
fooling both the subject and the lab assistant.  Often
accompanied by a strong belief in the tooth fairy.

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com