-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of A V Flinsch
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 6:10 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mandrake and Oracle

On Wednesday 15 August 2001 20:07, Miark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine asked me to recommend a Linux distribution that would
> best work with an Oracle database. I normally recommend Mandrake for
> anything and everything, but I don't know squat about databases, and I
> figured he deserves a more thoughtful answer.
>
> His question, specifically, was whether RedHat-based or SuSE would be
> better. SuSE advertises Oracle support on their web site, but I can't
> find any mention of Oracle at Mandrake's site.

There is no official Oracle / Mandrake support, but it does work.
Oracle installed whithou a problem on versions of Mandrake prior to 8.0.
With 8.0, some glibc tweaking needs to be done.

1 - update to glibc-2.2.2-5mdk this is the latest one released by
Mandrake and was specifically issued for the oracle installer problem
(one of them)

2 - if you need to run dbassist (to create a database), get the
glibc-2.1.3-stubs.tar.gz fix
from otn, to find it, go to the same page you can download 8.1.7 from
(IOW a pain to get to)

3 - install 8i, but do not create the database

4 - apply the stubs patch from Oracle, make sure that you read the
instructions!

5 - run dbassist and create the database.

At this point, oracle was running, but any access to it gave "oracle not
available" errors. Shutting down oracle and restarting it fixed the
problem, whatever it was.

If you need dretails on WebDB or De6i, just ask.

--
Alex

Steve Balmer, CEO of Microsoft, recently referred to LINUX as a cancer.
Unsurprisingly, that's incorrect; LINUX was released on August 25th,
1991 and is therefore a Virgo.

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com