Hi folks,

The last time I sent in a question about my modem not being detected, I
found that the modem itself was not compatible w/LM8, it was a winmodem.

I pulled that card out and replaced it w/U.S. Robotics 3Com 56K PCI
FaxModem, (Performance Pro).

In the documentation that came w/the modem, it tells me to verify,
(during boot process,) IRQ listing and device name (/dev/ttyX) to insure
modem is present.

Since the screen scrolls by so fast while loading OS, I had to check it
out in KDE session.

I went to the ManDrake Control Center and clicked on "Hardware." That
gave me another "Hardware" option to follow. From there I see that the
modem was detected during the boot process.

It gave me the information such as Vendor, Model, Kernel Module (which
by the way is reported as "unknown",) and Bus Type.

This window also prompts me to "Run Configuration Tool," which is the
HardDrake Config Wizard.

When I do run the wizard, it gives me a list of models and highlights
the one that looks like the model I have, (all the others listed say's
their winmodems.) When I OK this, I get another message, (error) that say's:

"I CAN'T CONFIGURE SOFTWARE MODEM COMMONLY CALLED "WINMODEM" GO TO
HTTP://WWW...... FOR MORE INFORMATION. "

When I bought this modem, I first made sure that it was compatable with
Linux from internet sites. I also noted that the box or modem packaging
also stated:

"Works with DOS, Linux, and Windows"

The documentation that came w/the modem states:

"All 2.3 and higher Linux kernels contain the 3Com Linux modem drivers."

I do believe LM8's kernel is higher!

Am I missing something?

Also, when I go to "setup" in dialup, I notice the list of devices range
from ttys0 - ttys3, but I noticed that the modem was using com 5!

I'm getting there but I get in deeper and deeper into confusion. :)

Would appreciate any assistance with this!

Thanks,

Roger

--

Lighthouses blow no horns; they only shine.

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com