On Sat, 18 Aug 2001 02:11:15 -0400 (EDT)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] insightfully noted:

> What are /var, /opt and /tmp?  I think I'd like to use all the different
> types
> of partitions to play around with learning more aspects of system
> administration, is this a smart idea or just sort of silly?  Thanks for
> the help.
==========================
I think it's time for a good linux book, or at least a read through some
of the basic linux documentation available on line.  /var is where logs,
mail, messages usually go.  I can at times grow quite rapidly. thus my
suggestion to give yourself a bit more room on / if you're keeping var as
part of that partition rather than separate. /opt is where third party
software traditionally is put, though recently many distros (led by RH, I
believe) now use /usr/local more often for that.  If you put lots of
software in /opt then you clearly will need either a separate partition
for it or a larger / than 250mb.  check out some documentation ;o)
Mike

--
"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
-- Kaiser Wilhelm