"You cannot truly call yourself a man until you have compiled your own
kernel"-wooky, in linux-mandrake newbie mailing list.

I am obviously a master in the ancient art of kernel compiling. Since
most people don't like reading long posts, here are my questions
beforehand:

1-what options in kernel .config are necessary to enable reading of
fat/vfat partitions? And to Aurora function properly?
2-is 6-7 min a normal time for compiling the bzImage(for a 800Mhz sys)?
3-what are the System Map and config symlinnks in /boot used for?

Now read on.

I would like to thank everyone in this list, specially Civ, Shidhar and
etharp- since now I have a working winmodem in linux. Like etharp so
beuatifully called it, this fine piece of computing equipment even runs
quicker than in window$. Now I have a complete Linux system running.
I had to compile another kernel for it to work, for it seems that the
patches in .mkd kernel prevent it from working.

My first kernel just didn't boot, or so i thought. Then I figured it out
it had something to do with Aurora since I could see the IDE light
flashing in my box. It took me some time to change the vga to normal in
lilo.conf., but then it went ok. Now it wouldn't read my window$
partitions, even though I am sure I enabled then in the config.
After compiling half a dozen kernels with no luck, I decided to take on
another strategy: I loaded up mandrake 2.4.3 config and proceeded to
take off all the options that I was sure I wouldn't need. Now it worked
(almost) fine, though it took some time to compile the modules. I said
almost cause the aterm program- a terminal for AfterStep and windowMaker
refuses to run saying it cant open a virtual pty.

Again, thanks to everyone who has somehow helped me and others to get
their Linux boxes running.

Jeferson Lopes Zacco aka Wooky
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com