From:    Dave Sherman [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:    Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:55:34 -0500
To:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] kdm not starting KDE

On Wednesday 22 August 2001 04:47 pm, thus spake Doug X:

> > Hello LM users,
>   I just upgraded to XFree86 4.1.0 and got X to finally restart.
> Then I upgraded to Texstar's kde2.2 rpm's.
>
> My problem is this.
>   kdm won't start KDE, it always starts icewm.  Any ideas or solutions
> as to how I can fix kdm to start KDE. To note:  I can log in via init 3
> and startx will properly load KDE. Also from init 3 I can run as root
> xdm or gdm from command line and both will start KDE properly, however I
> don't know how to get gdm or xdm to start by default on init 5?  I have
> tried the gdm configurator but on a reboot kdm returns.

Hello Doug,

You need to edit the file /etc/sysconfig/desktop, and change the entry
from KDE to GNOME. This will then start gdm instead of kdm.

Dave
- --

Visit http://www.visto.com.
Find out  how companies are linking mobile users to the
enterprise with Visto.

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com