KDM, XDM & GDM are all display managers.

They permit both local and remote X windows sessions to occur and
provide client support (the "remote" is the server in X, parlance).

If you have two Linux boxes running any of the above it is possible to
log into a remote machine's X-Windows using the local server.

While the programs are executed remotely, the local display handles
interpreting the graphics primitives, etc. so execution is quite fast
over a network.

By enabling the "chooser" on one or more machines, you would be
presented with a list of available computers on your local network that
can handle XDM logins...

In addition using "server" software such as Exceed, you can log into
your Linux box via a Lan and use it graphically as if you were sitting
on the console...

This is done via XDMCP.

Now someone PLEASE tell me how to enable the chooser in 8.0. I had no
trouble getting it to work on 7.2, but in 8.0 I am unable to get the
chooser to display. I'm stuck with the user logins and nothing else.

-JMS