All the new ram is the same...got it yesterday...from spartantech.com
and sorry, it was xms memory not ems...
I took out two chips...just to see what would happen
and it then read 64 mg...on memtest bootup...so i don't think
that could be it...(possiblity, but don't think so)
I think it may be...my win98 CD...it's old and got a few scratches...
perhaps, at the point it installs the himem.sys file...that file is
messed up or corrupted on the CD...and therefore the error.
I'm going to buy new CD ...and see if that works.