On Friday 24 August 2001 09:40 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:

> I tried to many versions posted methods, each one failed to find
> dependences[even though i'd have the files in my linux partition], or
> even worse corrupted other windows managers.... after removing kde in
> the first place.. luckly i have two computers.

   The reason there's so many suggested methods for major upgrades like
these is the almost infinite possibilities of various installs. Also,
it's rare that there won't be dependancy failures. Either the required
software wasn't originally installed, or a newer version is needed, or
newer and/or different items are also.

> Now don't get me wrong, i'm perfectly ready for battle... it's all
> learning, but why isn't there any installation scripty thing set
> up..... like a mandrake installer that says something like "welcome
> to kde 2.2, what part of kde2.2 to do you want to install... by the
> way we noticed that you'll need these newer versions of this and
> that, we can get them here for you...would you like rollback
> availbility [so you can go back to kde2]... ok sit back and watch
> this hello kitty mpeg while we install"
>
> is there any pure method to update/install this 2.2 on a stock 8.0
> kde2.0 package? cleanly

   First off, the only method of installing major upgrades like this
that Mandrake could ever hope to facillitate and support are their next
major release (eg, 8.1).  Installing something like KDE2.2, even tho it
might be 'final' must be treated as unsupported and untested.  IOW's
you're on your own responsibility.

   That said I'll give my experience.  I've done dozens of KDE major
upgrades.  I never have uninstalled the previous version, and I never
have done any of them other than while I had the current installed
version running.  Many disagree on one or both of those counts. All I
can say is I upgrade KDE in KDE, always have.

    For KDE 2.2 final, I use the objprelink optimized Mandrake rpms
that Texstar provided.  I d/l'd them all into their own directory.
I then did 'rpm -Fvh *'.  This eliminates the need to install in the
proper order and/or circular dependencies. I was amazed that there were
no dep failures, and all my existing rpms were upgraded.  Then I ran
'rpm --rebuilddb', followed with 'update -menus -v', and 'ldconfig -v'.
I restarted KDE, and all was well, no problems.

   Or so I thought. After a few days I realized that Mozilla 9.3 that I
rebuilt from a Mandrake source rpm would not run. I rarely use it. It
was my only problem after upgrading.  So I cd'd back into the KDE2.2
dir were Texstar's rpms were and ran 'rpm -Uvh *' to install all of
'em.  When that only returned some "already installed" warnings, I
added --force (rpm -Uvh --force *). Followed again by'rpm --rebuilddb',
and 'update -menus -v', and 'ldconfig -v'. Now everything works jus
fine, including Mozilla.

--
        Tom Brinkman                       Galveston Bay

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com