I have been having significant problems with the chooser as well but AFAIK:

> Setting
>
> *       CHOOSER BROADCAST       #any indirect host can get a chooser
>
> In /etc/X11/xdm/Xaccess seems to have no effect in XDM.
Keep the Xaccess file like it is -- with that line -- i.e. the default
settings that come with mandrake.

> Likewise in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf even though the file points to the
> chooser (as is the default) how do I get it to display?

I don't think gpm supports the chooser.

> How do you enable the chooser (so it shows a list of hosts at the
> console's graphical login screen) in GDM and KDM (and for that matter
> xdm) in Mandrake 8.0.

You basically need kdm or xdm to be running in the background as a daemon.
Then, typing X <displaynumber> -indirect <any X server on your network>
should make kdm or xdm bring up the chooser for you for that display
e.g. X :1 -indirect localhost

To bring up the chooser at startup, I guess, you will have to add the line
"x:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -indirect localhost" just before the last
line of /etc/inittab (mandrake 7.2), "x:5:respawn:/etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon":

No warranties, though!  I have given up trying this anyway!

George

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com