Also the modem downloads new software for it self from time to time as
well.  This may have something to do with that.

As far as shutting down the network, I'd use the /etc/init.d/networ
stop, but ifconfig eth0 down will work as well.  But the
/etc/init.d/network stop shuts down all the network interfaces, not just
the eth0.
tdh

--
T. Holmes

Uptime:
 11:32am  up 10 days, 17:17,  4 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.02, 0.00