Hey All,

As I think I said in my other email, I am just finishing Kernighan &
Ritchie's "The C Programming Language" 2nd edition and I also lifted a
copy of "Learning the Bash Shell" (O'Reilly) tonight that I'm starting
to get into.  My question/request is that I'm very excited to be
learning these new things but I don't really know what to do with myself
now.  I'd like to have some relatively novice-level code to read and
maybe some suggestions for beginners projects to help flex my new muscles.

1.  What are some open-source programs that someone of my experience
level could look at and try to tinker with that will help me to
understand more about programming?

2.  Since I'm starting to learn bash as we speak, what are some tasks
that would be helpful and a little bit challenging for me to try to
figure out how to automate with a script?

3.  Last and *certainly* not least, what are some fun things I can do
with what I know?  Call me a newbie, but I don't yet see the gaming
application of C.  I used to write neat text-based games in QBasic when
I was a little kid and I'd like to learn how to do more complex ones and
maybe even graphical ones with my new bag of tricks.  Any suggestions on
where to turn for a start?  Any current games whose code I could look over?

4.  Ok, so this is the real last one:  Once I start pushing my C a
little further I'd like to expand into another language.  I know the two
most common suggestions will be Java and C++, and I know that everyone
will say eventually I need to learn both.  Well, which will give me the
most immediate satisfaction?  Does it make more sense to learn one
before the other?  Just looking for a few suggestions, I know these
debates can get pretty testy.  If it makes any difference, I'm really
aching for something I can apply to some sort of game programs, even
very simple ones.

Thanks as always for your time,
Respectfully,
Isaac

"While the popular understanding of anarchism is of a violent,
anti-State movement, anarchism is a much more subtle and nuanced
tradition then a simple opposition to government power. Anarchists
oppose the idea that power and domination are necessary for society, and
instead advocate more co-operative, anti-hierarchical forms of social,
political and economic organisation."

  - L. Susan Brown, "The Politics of Individualism", www.infoshop.org/faq

Go to http://wwww.mandrakestore.com