Hi Mike,

Has anyone been able to help you?

I am not very familiar with rpm... I have been avoiding to install
manually...
So I hope someone will be able to give you some advice.

As far as software manager is concerned, I had very similar problems... worse
actually. This program seems to be a hog and resources hungry because it has
to load a bid database so that it can opperate.
I first installed mandrake on a pentium 120mhz with 32mb ram... and kde was
not so happy about it. Software manager hanged up at the very start, while
drawing the first screen.

Your 64mb ram do not seem to be much. If I were you, I'd seriously consider
upgrading to 128mb ram, possibly 256mb.
I now run mandrake on a duron 750mhz with 256mb ram and I am happy! :-D

you say you use lnx4win to run mandrake. Does this mean that your
mandrake/linux runs under windows???
I believe you loose all benefit of having linux if that's true. Dual boot
with linux and windows each having their own partition would be much better.

Anyway, go for more memory: windows and kde are very hungry for resources.
Either that or run another xwindows gui build for low end computers.

hope that helps,

Anguo

Michael Koundouros banged on their keyboard and produced the following
arrangement of letters:
- Hi folks,
-
- I am using mandrake 8.0. I installed it using lnx4win on a celeron 300mhz
- laptop with 64mb ram. I have been having trouble with the software manager
- as it hangs most of the time. what normally happens is when I start it, it
- says that its scanning Cd1. It usually (not always though) hangs when it
- reaches 99%. Every now and then it manages to load properly and
 subsequently - works well. Does anyone know what the problem is?
-
-
- I really want to know how to install programs. lately I have been using the
- rpm -i command in a shell since I have been having the software manager
- problem mentioned above. the problem arises with all the program
- dependencies.
-
- How do I install a program WITHOUT having to find all the dependencies and
- their dependencies and so on. For example I tried to install the latest
- version of koffice. I got an error saying that libmng.so.0 was missing. so
 I - went and downloaded an rpm that contained it. I tried to install it but
 I - got an error saying it conflicts with libmng1-1.0.0-2mdk. I don't want
 to - uninstall libmng1-1.0.0-2mdk because several program depend on it so
 what do - I do??? Please help as I really like Linux but find it really hard
 to - install programs.
-
- regards
- mike